June 7, 2016September 7, 2019


Campaign Target


0% $0 to go


Applying for your residence permit as a freelancer or artist, or being self-employed

The situation is slightly different if you’re interested in working, but not in full-time employment at a company. You have to be able to show you can sufficiently finance your life and your career without being a burden to the state. This applies to work in a variety of fields, including the arts. If you’re a freelance artist, journalist or musician, you must be able to demonstrate both a body of work and upcoming projects. To get your residence permit in Germany as a freelancer, your application must include the following contents:

  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of residence
  • Completed residence permit application form
  • Curriculum Vitae (CV) — an updated document detailing your professional career, your diploma, any qualification certificates, any references or sponsors
  • Financing plan — this document details how much money you have to finance your employment, including liquid funds, tangible assets, loans and venture capital
  • Revenue forecast — otherwise known as a profit/loss statement that details your projected expenses including your rent, insurance fees and taxes for the next three years
  • €50 — €110 application fee, depending on the complexity of your case

If you’re going to be completely self-employed, you need everything above, plus a few additional documents:

Click here to change this text